Li-ion battery Fire in Residential Block leaves one dead

The BBC have reported that a major fire in a residential block in Tower Hamlets, London, caused by a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike has left a male resident, a father of two dead.  The fire which started in the early hours of the 5th March is still under investigation although residents at the block in Shadwell stated that they had raised concerns about fire safety in the past as well as concerns over over-crowding.

The fire highlights the need for those responsible for fire safety in buildings to consider technological change and the effect for example of e-bikes and scooters and what protection and limitations are applied regarding these.  This also highlights the need to have properties fully assessed and all areas covered including tenants demised areas.

 For support on how to manage your building’s safety, click here to contact us.